4.15.2011

Yonhap clocks on.

Just got a notification for this article about the preference for white foreign English teachers in Korea. Nice to see these things being addressed, even if not nearly widely enough yet. And even if it is in English. It's a start.

That reminds me that the woman whose kids I teach on a regular basis (even though she's horrible about foreigners and regularly gives me headaches based around the fact that she believes foreigners to be English machines, who exist solely to teach Koreans English) told me this morning that her daughter informed her, about yesterday's listening exam: "There was one native English speaker.... and one British person!" Why even bother, yeah? Just, why bother? If she can't grasp the fact that someone with a British accent is a native English speaker all on her own, I don't think it's a problem that I can fix.

No comments: