10.24.2009

머리 아퍼.

Work was good today, despite the fact that I had a completely bizarre headache (I think) stemming from sleeping weird, combined with stress, which has thrown my neck and shoulders all out of line. I can't turn my head a certain way without pain pounding up through my skull. Lovely.

I've heard other foreign teachers comment before on the bizarreness of Korean students' noonchi, and I've definitely noticed the same thing with my third graders. If I'm even a little bit off, because of homesickness or just not feeling well or whatever, they always notice it right away. One student who I've never even really spoken to came into the office with Tylenol after apparently seeing me rubbing my head at my desk, and a few more, led by my "boyfriend", spent the lunch period chasing other boys off from the EOZ, shouting, "야! 조용히! 원어민 선생님이 아프다! 나가!"

Nonetheless, I made it through all five classes. Fridays are C level first graders, who, despite being ridiculously adorable, can be handful, to say the least. For some reason, they were really well behaved today and paying a suspicious amount of attention. I think it's because they haven't had my class for three weeks. We'll be back to our usual nonsense next Friday, I'm sure.

After work, I just came home and fell asleep. The headache is the kind that just makes you nauseous. Now I'm nervous about the day ahead, as it's 4:37 am and I'm awake, and the headache has only dulled off slightly.

I have a lot of things I have to take care of today. And I have to go clubbing in Hongdae tonight. Great.

The boyfriend crew asked what I was doing on Saturday, and I told them honestly. It's my friend's birthday and we're going to Hongdae. First question: Friend is Korean? Second question: Teacher go Hongdae clubs? Well, hell. If they can tell me honestly that they meet their girlfriends behind GS25 to smoke cigarettes (the girls too!), I can tell them honestly I'm going to clubs. I told them I hate clubs and I didn't want to go.

Teacher why? Hongdae club very good!

How would you know, exactly? And no, not very good for the most part. For the most part, Teacher is too old.

Teacher young! Teacher 25!

25 is too old for clubs, boys. University is club time. Not after.

No! Club for up to 29! Teacher still have long time.

I might try to grab a couple more hours of sleep and see if I can't salvage the day somehow. I wish I could keep that Tylenol student in my pocket for days like these. I could use a little helper at the moment....

No comments: