9.23.2009

The benefit of teaching the young'ns.

And now presenting the most adorable thing I've ever experienced in my entire life:

The boys -- even the older ones -- are massive crybabies about creatures of any kind getting into the classroom. Just as one class started to file in yesterday, some boys at a table near the windows noticed a bee (the kind that stings) and started to bug out. I grabbed a file folder and started trying to shoo the thing out the window.

"Get out! Go! Go away!"

A little murmured conversation in Korean started, just to my left. I tuned in.

"She's speaking English, but it's a Korean bee."

"Right. The bee only speaks Korean. He can't understand English."

"She should tell him in Korean."

A little tug on my shirt. "Teacher. Nagah. Na-gah."

"Ahh. You're right. He's Korean. NAGAH!"

"Teacher. Nagah. Na-gah." would have been lost on me a couple of months ago. I would have thought that, for some strange reason, my completely docile first grade student just decided to tell me, in very impolite terms, to get out of my own classroom.

3 comments:

Tuttle said...

That is very funny!

But maybe you should have said, "G-O A-W-A-Y!" It might have been a spelling bee.

Diana said...

One of my cats is Korean. The other is American, but responds best to Spanish.

I live in a very confused household and would be grateful for a bee that left when I told it 나가!

(found your blog through Dave's--linking it as your writing style amuses me.)

I'm no Picasso said...

Tuttle -- buh-dup-dum!


Diana - 아! 고마워요. 판가워요. I had a cat that responded to Spanish once. He was a Texas cat, and a stray before I got him, so go figure.