5.31.2011

Taeho sings us a song.

I just finished class three minutes ahead of time. No biggie. We've got a three day weekend coming up, so it's easy enough just to chat with the students for a few minutes about what their plans are. And rub it in their faces that, actually, it's only a three day weekend for me -- they've got to be in on the Saturday.

But this class spoke up -- Taeho should sing a song. Taeho's just one of those kids -- sweet as fuck, always keen to give an answer, a little shy, a little goosey, doesn't draw too much attention to himself, but all around good stuff. I was a little confused as to why his classmates were targeting him. But I went with it. I pulled him by his shirt tails up to the front of the room. He was really embarrassed, but not in the way that crosses the line over into "upset". He stood there frozen for a moment while his classmates playfully jeered at him. Finally, I grabbed him by the shoulders: "Taeho... like this...." I turned him around to face the board. He nodded. He stood there for another ten seconds and then he closed his eyes and opened his mouth.

I swear to god, if I've ever heard anything like that live in my life, it's been long enough that I've forgotten it. And I don't think it would be a thing easily forgotten.

Taeho -- why the fuck would you ever hesitate to open your mouth, when things like that can come out of it?

2 comments:

karisuma gyaru said...

awww, that's so cute! maybe he will be a future korean popstar and then you can brag to everyone that you taught him, eheh.

Mr. Spock said...

I would hope he doesn't waste chops like those on bubblegum pop of all things.