12.17.2010

Movie movie time and slang.

Even though it fucking kills my brain to watch the same movie 22 times in a row, it is one of my favorite parts of the year. Because, for once (as during camps), I don't have to focus mostly on getting a lesson across, keeping the classroom under some semblance of order, and making sure the students understand and complete their assignments. I'm not managing behavior, comprehension and time all at once. I can just sit back and hang out with the boys for a bit. Which I get to do with a certain percentage pretty often, as they come by the office often, but not with the entire population. It's my chance to get to know some of the students I don't get much one-on-one time with at any other point.

It's also stupidly cute to watch them watch a movie. Enhanced an incredible amount by being able to understand their ridiculous running commentary. The way they giggle uncontrollably at certain parts, and turn around to see if I think it's funny as well. Or how they all "woooooooooooooooo!" at the scene where Zooey Deschanel can be seen down to the shoulders in the shower, while shooting looks at my face for a reaction. And how students who I've never heard speak a single lick of English will go to such lengths as to ask their friends for help, and then shout, "Camera down!" just to make sure I get the point.

One student took the opportunity to explain how "elf girl" is slang for a girl with a cute face and a "glamorous" (big-breasted) body. I took the opportunity to explain that, in native English, "glamor" has little to nothing to do with a woman's breasts. He then asked me how to say "breasts" in English. I declined to comment. He'll figure it out soon enough on his own, I'm sure. I can't think of any good reason why he should need the word at this point. I'll leave that for a high school or university weoneomin. Plus, how do you choose a good word for that? I don't really like any of them.

I had one third grader come out with, "Yaknowatimsayinman!" today and it was fucking surreal. His accent, pronunciation and intonation were all dead on. It could've been fucking Jay-Z speaking. My head snapped around and the students cracked up at what was obvious, genuine shock -- something they don't see out of me very often. He told me he learned it from "hip hop". My students don't know slang. At the very best, I'll get a really cheesy "yo yo wassup man!" out of the occasional really high level student. One called me "my brother" last week and then got really embarrassed when I pointed out that 1. I would be a sister and 2. it's not really a case-appropriate expression for reference to a teacher. Nevermind the idea that it's somehow disrespectful, which is what he thought I was saying at first. It's just literally, realistically, not something you would use in native English with a teacher. Which was the point I was trying to get across. But I'm still happy with them putting in the effort. I've only ever even run across a couple of students who know what I'm saying when I use the word "cool".

I'm trying not to think about the fact that the boys who were first graders when I arrived will be leaving in a couple of months. It was hard enough saying goodbye to the third graders last year. And hardly any of them have been back to visit. But they've been working really hard the last couple of months preparing to enter high school, and it is time for them to go. Unfortunately, a large portion of them have ended up in all boys high schools, a fact which brings utter remorse to their faces when I ask about it. But they're already getting dangerously brave with their pre-high school haircuts. These are the thing that really matter.

1 comment:

Roboseyo said...

my korean teacher tried to talk hip-hop style when illustrating the way Koreans put "yo" even at the end of simple sentences. It was adorable. Let's just say aegyo suits here a lot better.